Monday, May 22, 2006

You Can Book It

I don't understand the need for censorship. In my opinion, if you are confronted with an alternative and/or opposing point of view, if you maintain your own position then you have only reaffirmed that stance for yourself. I believe that this is true for banned books, television programs, and blasphemy.

Self-imposed censorship is one thing. I don't care what you do to or with yourself, unless you are a hot female of age and have a webcam. I'm also not opposed to censoring what your children read, watch or do, as long as they aren't 35 and still living at home. As a parent, it is your job to protect your children from things that you do not want them to see. When they get older, they must decide for themselves. If they can't, then we have failed as parents.

But censoring or banning books at a public institution is an outrage. I should be able to tell the school what I will not allow my children to check out of the library. If schools are not able to utilize technology to this extent, then they should not be teaching my children.

So I guess you're wondering why I've chosen this topic today. Many of my favorite books have been banned and now my children will not be able to read them. Here is the list of banned books and the corresponding reason for the ban:

The Three Little Pigs - Banned for anthropomorphism in animals. Portrays the Wolf as an evil beast when all he wants to do is feed himself and his family. The pigs are fat, which encourages childhood obesity. Encourages living in squalid conditions. Encourages destruction of property.

Three Blind Mice - Advocates violence towards animals, specifically, the Farmer's Wife attacks the mice with a butcher's knife. These types of attitudes towards animals lead to violence against humans later in life. Also, the word "Blind" is offending to some people, and should be termed "Visually Challenged" before republication.

Peter Pan - Advocates homosexuality via green tights; advocates running away from home; advocates jumping out of high windows and balconies; advocates rebellion and violence towards adults.

Hansel and Gretel - Advocates cannibalism. Advocates wasting food. Encourages violence towards elderly women living in huts in the forest. Advocates abandonment of children.

Rumplestiltskin - Advocates child labor.

Who Moved My Cheese - Redundant, boring, typical management book that has no real benefit and is a waste of time and money. Most people who read this book are actually dumber after reading it.

It is a shame that these books have been banned, especially for the reasons noted (except for Who Moved My Cheese, which actually is a pretty good choice). It's time we took a stand for our children's education and stood up for what we believe.

No comments: