Monday, July 03, 2006

DC, Day 5: Anniversaries and the P Funk Allstar Band

I am proud to say that, at 11:30 am on Sunday, we finally recovered from Saturday night. Hurrah!

Around noon, Betty and Shelly went to the Eastern Market while I rediscovered my senses and orientation. The girls returned with six different types of juices, while I enthusiastically slumped on the couch. I could not nod nor shake my head, as both of these motions caused worlds to collide and set the room spinning. But there was no time to recuperate: it was off to Church! If there is one rule in our house, it's that I can't walk into the kitchen after Betty has mopped and I have mown the lawn. But if there is a second rule, it's that we make it to mass every sunday, and we are on time.

We visited the Washington National Cathedral, which is the 6th largest cathedral in the world and the 2nd largest in the nation. Need I remind you that 2nd place is the 1st loser? It's also where Woodrow Wilson and Helen Keller are buried. It's also Episcopalian, and we're Catholic, which meant that I got to talk Betty out of making me sit through mass for one more week. Score! (I mean, how terrible that we did not attend mass... shameful, really.) Actually, I convinced Betty by telling her that Woodrow Wilson was elected by the Invisible Empire, and that not only did he help to create the League of Nations but did not help the US join it after several amendments were added to the LON charter, but that he also did not visit the Mississippi Valley after the 1927 flood. Thanks, History Channel! (Some of that actually occurred with Calvin Coolidge instead of Woodrow Wilson, but desparate times call for desparate measures!)

So on to Georgetown!

It's a common misconception that Georgetown is named after George Clinton of the P Funk Allstars. In fact, Georgetown is named after George W. Bush, our founding father and leader of men. Actually, I thought Georgetown would look like a colonial-era development, with people having fake battles in the streets and everyone wearing stockings and wigs, riding around on horses and blowing crap up with old-timey TNT. I dressed for that occasion. Needless to say, I did not fit in well with the J-Crew, Banana Republic and H & M crowd.

Georgetown was actually very nice. July 2nd is mine and Betty's anniversary, so we wanted to do someplace special. (We had to pass through Virginia to get to Georgetown, and remember, Virginia Is For Lovers!) We ended up eating at a place by the Potomac river to watch the sunset, but we started eating at 4 pm so we missed the sunset by about 4.5 hours. But Betty and I did have an interesting discussion: is Potomac pronounced "Po-to-mac" or "Po-tah-mic?" We eventually came up with this little song to settle our differences:

You say Po-to-mac, I say Po-tah-mic,
You say Co-lo-nic, I say Co-lah-nic,
A-to-mic, A-tah-mic, Po-to-mac, Po-tah-mic,
Let's call the whole thing off!

For the last 6 hours of our day, we spent it where we've probably spent the majority of our time in DC... at Tunnicliff's Tavern. Jay and Alan bought Risk (yes, that Risk) and we played for almost 3 hours. It's not like there's anything else to do in this town after 5:30 anyway! I came in 2nd - you never can keep Asia. Even though it was our anniversary, Betty was happy to have me preoccupied for a couple of hours. Can you imagine having to put up with me 24/7 for 2 weeks straight, with no way to escape and nobody to run to? She's a saint!

Tomorrow we're going to try catch a mass at the Catholic Shrine, then try to get into the American History Museum - we think it's reopened after the flood. We are also going to the Holocaust Museum. Tomorrow night we are going to watch the DC Nationals play the Florida Marlins, then I'm sure we'll end up at Tunnicliff's. Maybe I'll wear my new shirt!

2 comments:

Beav said...

Happy Anniversary!!!! I'm technically only 7 hours and 27 minutes late with this. Keep up the posts!!!

Bobby said...

You were the first to digitally wish us a happy anniversary (not counting any unread emails that I have been ignoring for the past two weeks), so thanks!!!