Friday, September 08, 2006

A Couple of Bad Apples

I was in the grocery store buying apples and it hit me:

What kind of apple did Adam and Eve eat?

Because I sure as Heck don't want one of those! Those are the Sin Apples!

I bet it was a Granny Smith one. I've always suspected something fishy about those. It's the green skin - the color of sin!!!

However, Red Delicious apples do have their merits. For one thing, they are delicious, which would cause temptation. Secondly, they are red, which is the color of the Devil. Third, they would be easier to find against a green, leafy backdrop.

I personally wouldn't eat anything that a snake was crawling around on. Weren't Adam and Eve afraid of snakes? Adam got to name all the creatures, didn't he? Surely he must have known something about poisonous venomous fangs.

Come to think of it, it was probbaly a Macintosh. Maybe it was an Apple IIGS.

I guess there is no real need to worry about eating any Forbidden Fruit nowadays though. An apple seed's best chance of taking root is for the apple to be eaten and passed through the digestive system, leaving only the seed (and some fertilizer) behind. So I guess the laws of Evolution have taken care of this one for us.

I just read that the Forbidden Fruit may have been a fig, grape, wheat or citron. I fail to believe that Original Sin was caused by barley and hops, and have no faith in Absolut Forbidden Fruit causing all of the woes of the world.

Since we'll never really know, I'll just have to stop eating fruit altogether to make sure I don't eat any of the Sin Fruits. Hey, maybe it was a veggie - we can't take any chances!

3 comments:

Aaron said...

I am not sure where the apple came from, as the Bible states (Sorry for the serious post:)

6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.
Gen 3:6 (NIV)

Bobby said...

Well, Adam's Apple sounds a lot better than Adam's Fig. That's probably how that came around.

And I seriously wonder why wheat is in the running for being the forbidden fruit. Wheat isn't a fruit, is it? Dont make me give up Frosted Mini-Wheats - I won't make it!

Aaron said...

I thought a pomegranate was the top hypothesis. Shrug.