Here's something pretty cool: the police now have the technology to scan up to 900 license plates per hour as cars drive by. This technology, called The Mobile Plate Hunter 900, captures around 85% of the plates it actually scans - the other 15% or so can't be read b/c of the angle of the car, etc. The license plate number can then be searched in the National Crime Information Center's database, and if there's a match, the police pulls the car over and sends the driver to a Pound-Me-in-the-Ass Penitentiary.
This technology is helping to find stolen cars, round up people with felony warrants, etc. Sounds good to me!
Of course, there are always those who consider technology to be evil, and in this particular case, that bastard entity is the ACLU.
The ACLU, or American Civil Liberties Union, is an organization that helps people to fight for their individual freedoms. That sounds good in theory. But when you realize that the ACLU has helped to defend the KKK, pedophiles, neo-Nazis... well, you get the point, the ACLU is basically a terrorist organization.
The ACLU is against the Mobile Plate Hunter technology because, in their opinion, it's an "infringement on a driver's right to privacy."
Of course, we all know that if you do something in public, and if someone captures it on film, then you can't claim that it was a "private act" and someone was spying on you because - as was previously noted - you were in the public's view. Apparently the ACLU needs a lesson on public domain.
Now don't get me wrong - I'm against anyone, especially the government, poking their noses where they don't belong (unless the person attached to the nose is really hot). But this is a case where the item in question - the license plate - is already visible. To protect privacy we could just as easily pay millions of dollars more in taxes to have more police patrolling the streets so your car doesn't get stolen in the first place.
Of course, speaking strictly in terms of privacy, it would be nice to have time limits on the records captured by the system. Let's say a month. Anything stored for over the past month is then deleted or archived.
Just imagine how powerful this technology could be if it only had Sirius Satellite Radio built into it!
The Existential Terror of Battle Royale
5 weeks ago