Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Heath Ledger Dead at 28

I was shocked this afternoon to read that actor Heath Ledger has died.

What a loss!

I'll be honest - I wasn't a fan of Heath Ledger. It would be wrong of me to say that I liked the guy when there is documented proof that I thought he was a terrible actor. Actually, he was always the one person who I could always depend on to lower my expectations of a movie, until the new Batman movie trailers started showing him as the Joker, which looks really good.

But in general, I loved to hate him.

In fact, I loved to hate him in 10 Things I Hate About You, The Patriot, Monster's Ball, A Knight's Tale, and especially The Four Feathers. Wow did that movie suck! Then again, I hated all of these movies, although there is one part in Monster's Ball that's worth watching again and again to make me feel good.

I used to say that anything Heath Ledger was in was totally gay, and then Brokeback Mountain came out. Case in point?

Having said all of that, Heath Ledger always seemed like a decent guy. If I had to kill off one celebrity, I wouldn't have chosen Heath Ledger. Sure, I would club Paris Hilton like she were a baby seal, or throw Britney Spears into a pit full of half-starved hogs. But Heath Ledger? Never. In fact, now that I'm reading about his life in all of the online news outlets, he seemed like a pretty cool guy.

I wish I could like his movies more now that he is gone, but I'll have to settle for just respecting him more now that I've read about him. So here's to Heath Ledger.

No comments: