Thursday, January 17, 2008

Neti Pot

Betty was having sinus issues so, on one of our family member's suggestions, we went to Walgreens and picked up a "neti pot". Let me tell you, if you've never seen a neti pot before then you haven't experienced life in its fullest.

The neti pot is a miniature tea pot that you pour lukewarm water and salt into. Then, instead of filling up a tea cup with this delicious brine, you instead jam the pot's spout into one nostril, tilt your head, and pour water into your sinus cavity. Yes, it comes out the other nostril, and yes, it's totally awesome.

It's just like what you did to your kid sister's tea pots when you were a kid, only this time your mom won't punish you.

Here's a quick demo.



Betty wanted me to be a guinea pig and try the neti pot first, but I declined. I'm not into these fancy "new wave" medical procedures. I get rid of my sinus troubles the old-fashioned way: by applying pressure to the side of one nostril with my finger, squinting one eye, and blowing as hard as I can until my snot rocket blasts off into space.

But Betty did great with it. She got a good flow going and her sinuses did in fact clear right up. The neti pot works! Betty could finally breathe through her nostrils again for the first time in a few weeks.

Score one for jamming things up our noses on purpose! Thanks, neti pot!

No comments: