Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Bun in the Oven

Forget dressing up a "Flashing Cow" and showing people your teets at Mardi Gras. The real way to bag some shiny beaded loot is to impregnate your wife and then dress her up as a Bun in the Oven.

Betty's Bun in the Oven costume


For Mardi Gras day, Betty wore her man-made Kenmore oven and I dressed up in some an LSU apron, mitts and a chef's hat, and together we walked down St. Charles Avenue in New Orleans. All we heard the whole way was, "Awww, look at that, a bun in the oven - that is so cute!" and "Are you sure that bun is yours?"

Touche'.

Walking up and down the street tired Betty out pretty quickly, and once she sat down to rest I became rather restless. My Middle Child Syndrome makes it nearly impossible to not be the center of attention for too long in one span, so I resorted to being as obnoxious and loud as possible by banging a large plastic spoon against the bottom of a plastic bowl, as if banging a drum, and singing Mardi Gras songs at the top of my lungs. I banged the drum slowly, if you know what I mean. The act of banging the bowl got people's attention, then I would turn the bowl over and let people use it as a target for their beads. Let's just say that I need to bring a bigger bowl next time.

Our bun and baker costumes


Speaking of next time, next year we'll have a little baby and there will no longer be a bun in the oven. This will seriously hamper our ability to catch a lot of loot.

I guess I'll just have to work on knocking my wife up again for the 2010 Mardi Gras season.

No comments: