Monday, February 04, 2008

Post-Super Bowl Blues

The commercials, the half-time show, the scoreboard pool, and the love of the game - all valid reasons for watching the Super Bowl. For some it is the epitome of the sport of football, or even the epitome of all sports. For others it is a chance to meet with friends, throw back some beers and scream at the telly, and occasionally challenge each other to push-up contests and then steal each other's beer while one's opponent is passed out from drinking / exercising too vigorously.

For me, it is a time of sadness.

Super Bowl Sunday is the end of the football season and all that the season stands for. Football is about more than just sweaty, hulking guys in tights clawing at each other. It is about carthasis. At the end of a very long week of work, I could always count on plopping myself down on the couch, taking a swig from a nice cool drink, and then screaming in fury as the Saints lost one game after the next.

Watching LSU and Saints games this year got my heart pounding, which as I've tried to explain to my wife, is as good as doing actual exercise. I think that's a good enough excuse to get me out of at least one Sunday mass a year, right?

Listening to the NFL Network on Sirius is one of my favorite things to do. But for a whole off-season I'll now have to listen to people who once thought the New England Patriots were the Greatest Team of All Time trounce them as the Most Disappointing Team of All Time. (I'd have to disagree with that, by the way. The '82 Bengals probably sucked more, although I know nothing about them. But let's face it, they're the Bengals - how good could they have been?)

So what do I have to look forward to? March Madness? That's a whole month away! The NBA? Snooze-fest. NASCAR? Only if someone flips their car in a fiery lap of death and destruction, and if that's the case, I'll catch it on ESPN News.

I guess I'll just have to find other ways to occupy my time until the next football season. At least the Super Bowl was very beneficial to my little family this year: it gave us our child's name, regardless of if it's a boy or a girl. Wanna know what our name is?

Plaxico Tanory.

It just has a special ring to it.

No comments: