Tuesday, May 06, 2008

My Tiny Head

My brother always told me that I had a tiny head. Since he is my big brother and it's his job to pick on me, I never really believed him. Instead, I always thought my head was within the normal standard deviation of head size, but that his head is just humongous, making my head comparatively smaller than his.

Unfortunately, I must face the facts. I have a tiny head. Also, it seems I've passed this feature onto my daughter.

Monday was my daughter's first month checkup at the pediatrician's office. They measured her (she's right about 21 inches), weighed her (8 lbs, 7 oz), then measured the circumference of her head. And wouldn't you know it, like father like daughter: Anne was in the 5th percentile for head size.

A tiny head can be caused by several factors. The first factor is genetics. The second factor could be caused by the plates of bone in her head fusing too quickly, which can distort the head as well as potentially cause issues for the brain. This was our main concern so we brought her to the radiologist.

Everything went fine at the radiologist, and thankfully everything is normal with Anne's head size. She just has a smaller-than-average head at this point.

In the meantime, I've been reflecting on all of the times that my brother teased me about my tiny head. Man, it really sucks for him to have been right all this time. To help ease the pain of learning that my brother was justified in his cat-calls of me having a tiny head, here's a photoshop of his huge noggin compared with my tiny one.

[Picture: Bob and Todd's comparatively different heads]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The good news is that Anne is doing just fine (she's beautiful).

The bad news is that the photo you posted doesn't look photo-shopped.

T

Anonymous said...

LOLOLOLOLOL funny.