Saturday, August 02, 2008

The Farmer's Market

For the past few weeks Betty has been suggesting that I take her to the Ascension Fresh Market, the nearby farmer's market that's open every Saturday from 8 am - 12 pm.

I don't know about you, but perusing fruits and veggies is not my idea of a fun Saturday morning. However, it was clear that I would have to take Betty to the farmer's market or that I would have to continue hearing about the sub-par quality of Wal-Mart's fruits and vegetables, nonstop forever and ever until I relented.

Relent I did. Not only would it give Betty a chance to buy fresh, local produce, but it also gave me a chance to use my cheesy joke about how I would buy a farmer at the farmer's market, and would name him Jorge and make him grow eggplants in my back yard.

The farmer's market opened at 8 am, but we didn't get there until about 10:15. And in those two and 1/4 hours, they sold out of almost everything. The only things left at the farmer's market were an old man with a huge beard manning the tomatoes table and a couple of girls sitting at a 4H booth.

The old man's eyes glinted in the sunlight as our car turned into the farmer's market. He smiled at us as we pulled into our parking space. And the look on his face as we immediately backed out and zoomed away was heart-breaking.

The moral of the story is that if you want to take your wife to the farmer's market, make sure you get there when it opens. You probably even want to get there before it opens. Otherwise, your wife will make you take her back the next week.

No comments: