Sunday, August 31, 2008

Preparations

We spent our weekend getting ready for Hurricane Gustav.

I took care of the outdoors by moving indoors anything that could potentially become a missile. Patio furniture, the BBQ pit, Anne's swing, the giant red urn from the front door, and my arsenal of actual missiles - all went to their new home inside my storage room.

Betty took care of our provisions. This meant she had to go to several stores and scavenge. And by "scavenge" I mean "fight other people for food and toiletries." That's why I sent Betty - never send a man to do a mom's job.

Anne took care of the entertainment.

In addition to manual labor, I'm also mentally preparing myself for the hurricane and its ramifications by reading 1 Dead in Attic by Chris Rose. Rose is a columnist for the Times-Picayune and the book is about the months after Hurricane Katrina. I'm not too far into it yet, but just reading it reminds me of my trips to New Orleans before and after Hurricane Katrina. Specifically, I remember Lakeview as being very green before the storm, and there is no other word I can think of to describe the destruction and devastation of Lakeview after Hurricane Katrina other than "brown."

I hope we have better luck with Gustav.

My last item of business was to take down our "Welcome" sign and stuff it into the storage room. But if you need a place to stay after the storm, you know you're welcome here.

No comments: