Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Twinkle, Twinkle Little ABCs

My daughter teaches me something new every day.

On the day she was born she taught me that my life had a purpose. On the day she got her first vaccinations she taught me that sometimes the pain really does hurt the parent more than the child. A few months ago she taught me that I could use her explosive digestive powers as a means of fending off home invaders.

And a few days ago, my daughter taught me that "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" has the same melody as the alphabet song. My daughter is musically gifted!

It all started when I was trying to lull Anne to sleep by singing TTLS. After she zonked out I sang the ABC's in order to subconsciously teach them to her, just like they do in Brave New World.

In singing these two songs back-to-back I discovered that they had the same melody. It seems incredible that I've never noticed this before, but it's obviously common knowledge - Google returned 625,000 websites for my search on "twinkle abcs."

Of course, that's not really a high number of results on Google. Googling "numa numa" returns 3,180,000 websites, and Googling "Paris Hilton" returns 82,800,000 websites. ("Paris Hilton numa numa" in quotes only returns 5 websites - hopefully this one will be the sixth. Go team!)

Maybe tomorrow I'll learn something else that is really neat. Until then, I'll just continue interlacing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" with the ABC's and hope that this doesn't interfere with her sleep-learning.

1 comment:

Luke said...

What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong is also the same melody. I think it's just a little faster and the rhythm is slightly different.

The other day Sam was sitting in his bouncy seat which plays Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and the batteries were almost dead. This caused the tune to get that dragging, slow sound that old cassette players used to have when the batteries were low. Anyway, it kept playing and I swore I heard What A Wonderful World. I even asked Lindsey if the bouncy seat was playing Louis Armstrong.

I was corrected quickly.