Saturday, September 06, 2008

Power to the People

My house finally has electricity again. Three cheers for all the utility workers in the greater Baton Rouge area!

(And let's give my parents a moment to digest the news that their granddaughter will soon be leaving their house.)

It's been great being at my parents' house. It feels just like old times: waking up at the butt crack of noon, my mom having breakfast/lunch/brunch ready, my dad giving sage advice on the best way to bluff your opponent in a high stakes poker tournament.... If I didn't have to go home to a yard full of tree branches and shingles, this trip might have counted as a vacation.

I will definitely miss it.

Of course, I probably won't be gone too long. Hurricane Ike is just around the corner, and it just might make Louisiana its Tina Turner and knock all our lights out. Again.

If that happens, we'll be back in Lafayette, where the comfort of my old bed awaits me. Laissez les bon temps rouler!

No comments: