Friday, September 05, 2008

Standardized Paternity Tests

I think I'm going to take a paternity test.

Let's be clear, I'm not accusing my wife of anything. It's just, well, yesterday my daughter ate carrots for the first time and she loved them. I don't mean "love" as in the "those were some yummy carrots and I would enjoy having them again" kind of love.

I mean "love" as in the "I'm going to smear carrots all over my face and save some for later" kind of love.

[Picture: The child in question with the alleged carrots.]

Can this really be my child? A veggie-lover?

It's hard to reconcile my thoughts at the moment. On the one hand there's me, waging war against veggies via the Veggielution. And on the other hand, my very own family is subverting my efforts at veggietarial elimination.

On second thought, I won't take a paternity test. I love this little carrot-loving child regardless of whether or not she chooses to embrace a world without veggies. I will just have to accept her for who she is, and try to support her in everything she does.

At least carrots are orange. There's still hope that she'll turn down the leafy greens.

No comments: