Friday, April 17, 2009

Chivalry is Dead!

The keys to my car are "old school" keys, meaning that I actually have to put the key into the lock, turn the key to manually unlock my door, open the door and then take the keys out of the lock in order to put them in the ignition.

If you're under the age of 25 then you probably have no idea what I'm talking about. You're probably used to the fancy keys with the electric button thingy that unlocks all the doors and occasionally honks the horn.

Whippersnappers.

Well, my wife's keys are those modern electric thingies, and on Thursday I was in charge of driving back from our lunch date at TJ Ribs on Siegen and was forced to use the dreaded electro-keys. While walking to our car in the restaurant's parking lot, I clicked the unlock button on her key chain to unlock the door and then I proceeded to get into the driver's seat. But do you know what I forgot to do?

I didn't open the car door for her.

That's correct, Chivalry is dead - I throttled it when I broke my streak of 8 consecutive years of opening doors for my wife. And believe me, she isn't letting me forget it.

Damn you, Modern Technology! You fooled me with your fancy shiny buttons and your telekinetic powers of unlocking doors / honking horns!

Now to redeem myself I need to buy a car whose digital key chain actually does open doors on the car. So this one dinner at TJ Ribs is going to set me back a good 30K.

I'll take the half order of baby back ribs and a new Honda Odyssey, please. Oh, and I'd like to get cheese fries on the side and doors that open automagically, thanks.

No comments: