Saturday, May 16, 2009

Angels & Demons

I just got out of the movie Angels & Demons, and I have to tell you, I'm a bit disappointed.

Sure, the acting was great, the storyline was both interesting and educational, and the movie lived up to its billing as a thriller. But I just thought it would be more like Alien vs. Predator, except with divine winged messengers fighting malevolent spirits.

Technology vs. faith is a great discussion for a movie to make, but wouldn't it have been cooler to see the archangel Michael shove a flaming sword up Belial's ass? That would have been a real angel vs. demon battle.

Or instead of playing symbologist Robert Langdon, Tom Hanks could have taken on the role of Gabriel, who along with Zadkiel (played by Stellan SkarsgÄrd), meet Beezelbub and Mammon in a back alley and beat the everloving crap out of them with a folding chair.

Ewan McGregor could have maintained his role as Camerlengo Patrick McKenna, but he could have sung a bunch of songs with Nicole Kidman before meeting the demon of sexuality, Gonorrhea.

Of course, I should have known that the movie was about a race against time to find a bomb planted inside Vatican City by the Illuminati, because I just finished reading the book - which was great, by the way.

But the movie is never the same as the book. So I thought that maybe, just maybe, the director would have taken some artist license and thrown in a scene where Uriel and Temeluchus roundhouse kick each other in the face for no apparent reason.

I'm looking forward to my next foray to the movie theater, where I'll see X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which I assume examines how the largest land-dwelling species of the Mustelidae family in the genus Gulo came to be so renown.

No comments: