Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Blueberries of Wrath

Today we went to pick blueberries at Berry Sweet Orchards, located in Ethel, LA.

[Picture: Berry Sweet!]

It took us a while getting there because the speed limit was 4.8 miles per hour. Seriously! Here's a pick of us running at least 7.2 mph before a blueberry cop tasered me.

[Picture: Running for our lives!]

We were basically migrant workers for a day, and it gave us a new appreciation for where our food comes from. It wasn't tough to pick the blueberries, though, because blueberries grow on blueberry shrubs that are more like small trees. It was a little hot, but we found that the hotter it got the less people were picking, and that meant more blueberries for us.

[Picture: Betty is a migrant worker for a day.]

We filled up three buckets full of blueberries, for a total weight of 12.5 pounds. That doesn't count the other 40 pounds of blueberries that we ate while picking. Here's a picture of a handful of blueberries prior to me shoving them all in my mouth and making "homemade blueberry jam."

[Picture: Pre-jam blueberries.]

My daughter, Anne, even got into the mix. She would pick low-hanging fruit and then pop them in her mouth. You should have seen her diaper... it was the most horrific thing I've seen in a long time. I wanted to take a picture and post it on the blog but Betty wouldn't let me.

[Picture: Annie helped us pick blueberries.]

At the end of the day, we had enough blueberries to make blueberry cobbler, blueberry ice cream, and blueberry jam. We also used some of the blueberries later that day while playing paint ball. Those things are tasty but leave a larger welt than a spider bite!

[Picture: Anne showing us how many blueberries she picked.]

Picking blueberries was fun, but it was sad at the same time, because it reminded me that I took multiple doses of steroids within a short amount of time and that my testicles will probably be the size of blueberries soon. I guess you can say that picking blueberries was a bittersweet occasion.

1 comment:

Aaron Corcoran said...

That sounds like a really good time!