Friday, June 12, 2009

Brilliant Books for Genius Children

Reading to my daughter Anne has always been a favorite activity of mine, but now that she's a little bit older we've been able to expand our reading catalog to include some really interesting books.

For example, in Eric Carle's ABC, each letter corresponds to an animal name that begins with the same letter. So H is for Horse, S is for Seal, and P is for Penguin.

Not only does this book prepare my child for interacting with the world at large, but it's also helping her study for the SATs. In the book, the N stands for narwhal - which is either a cross between a unicorn and a whale or just a very randy whale; the Q stands for Quetzal, and the X stands for xolo, which is short for Xoloitzcuintli and is more commonly known as the Mexican Hairless Dog.

Did I say this book was preparing my daughter for the SATs? I bet she'd kick ass at Jeopardy, too.

We also read Shake It Up, Baby! by Karen Katz, which is my new favorite. The book has a built-in rattle, so every page includes a phrase to shake the rattle. When we get to that part of each page, Anne shakes her head from side to side and flails her arms while screaming.

It's basically a good for riling her up or wearing her out. It's the perfect book for any time of day!

Anne still likes to point at monkeys and call them DaDa. There are two monkeys in her Brainy Baby Animals book and apparently they both remind her of me. That's OK, because once I get Daddy Hugs by Karen Katz then Annie can call me whatever she wants, as long as she lets me hug on her and read to her every night.

No comments: