Monday, June 29, 2009

Exercising Restraint

There's nothing more aggravating than someone exercising while they're on vacation - unless you like to exercise while on vacation but are surrounded by people who mock your every work out.

So it is with my sister's boyfriend. He loves to work out. He's thin, in shape, and loves to run. While my family is happy enough to wade in the pool, sit back on an innertube or take a midday nap at the beach, my sister's boyfriend wants to run, kayak and hit the gym.

It's so annoying.

But not nearly as annoying as I've been to him. When he asks if I want to go run with him, I scoop another spoonful of ice cream into my bowl. When he asks if I want to hit the gym with him, I pop open a coke and bite into a cold piece of pizza.

He's trying to stay in shape, but if he wants to be a part of this family then he'd better learn the cardinal rule of the Tanory vacation: we don't do anything that requires extra work.

Every time I eat something, he feels the need to go run another mile.

I'm starting to like people who work out while on vacation - it gives me something to mock while I gobble down red-hot popcorn and sip my icees.

No comments: