Monday, June 29, 2009

No DVD!

It's raining in Perdido Key, but we weren't worried because we came prepared. We brought four Netfix DVDs.

In our DVD list is Marley & Me - a modern day Old Yeller from what I've heard; the Tudors, which is the HBO series about King Henry VIII; Definitely, Maybe - a chick flick, but it has Van Wilder in it so I put it on our queue; and Man on Wire, a documentary about a guy who walked on a wire between the Twin Towers in New York in 1974.

Basically, we brought something for everybody.

And after the family poker match, we all descended onto the couch because we had nothing else to do. We all voted on what movie to watch, I put the disc into the DVD player, then hit the Input Select button on the remote.

Nothing happened.

I resorted to what I usually do when I troubleshoot technology: I smacked the TV on its side. That didn't work.

I scratched my head, then scratched my butt. Something funky was going on here.

Maybe, I thought, the DVD player is hooked up to the VCR, so we had to turn the VCR on. I hit the power button on the VCR but nothing happened. I traced the power line back to the surge protector and found that it was plugged in. So I plugged it in - still nothing.

I discovered that the audio/video cables connecting the VCR to the TV were shot, so we yanked the VCR out and hooked the DVD player directly to the TV. Still nothing!

My sister shrieked, "What are we going to do?! Interact with each other? Nooo! That's why I came on vacation - to escape!"

So now I'm blogging, Betty is reading her book, my sister is reading about Jon & Kate plus 8 plus homewreckers plus cameras, and my dad is flipping through the channels.

I'll be damned if I'll be forced to interact with my family on this family vacation!

No comments: