Thursday, August 20, 2009

I Love You, Man

Betty and I just watched I Love You, Man, starring Paul Rudd and Jason Segel.

In "I Love You, Man", Peter (Paul Rudd's character) proposes to his girlfriend, only to realize that he doesn't have enough male friends to even choose a best man. He then goes on a series of "man dates" in an effort to meet new people and hopefully hit it off with someone special enough to stand in his wedding.

It's not as gay as it sounds, but almost. And it's also hilarious.

This movie was incredibly funny, but it had a poignant side as well. It made me realize that the movie's title is exactly right: I love my guy friends, and I'm not ashamed to say it.

My friends and I have had so many great times together. For instance, one time my friend Matt and I had a pleasant, hour-long conversation using nothing but quotes from the movie Anchorman.

And when we all went up to Shreveport for Matt's bachelor party a few years back, I distinctly remember walking into a karaoke bar... and the first thing my friend Jay does is walk right up to the stage, kick the guy singing off the stage and tell the DJ to put on Outkast's "Hey Ya". I haven't heard a better version since.

The term "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" is enough to make my friend Tony laugh. There's a much longer story behind that, but you'll be happy to know that it isn't as bad as it sounds, although it does involve me running around my fraternity house in tiger-striped undies.

I think it's perfectly fine to admit that I love my guy friends. When I was a junior in high school my best friend died, and a lifelong friend died a few years later. Both of those deaths hit me pretty hard and made it difficult for me to be close to people for a while. It also made me realize how much I truly loved those two guys, and how special all of my other friends are to me.

So I'm not ashamed to say to all of my man-friends: I love you, man. You know who you are, and you know why I love you.

Some of you women aren't too bad yourself, either.

No comments: