Sunday, September 27, 2009

5K Run/Walk to Remember

On Saturday Betty, Anne and I went to the annual 5K "Run/Walk to Remember" to raise money for Alzheimer's research. The walk went through LSU's campus, wound down Sorority Row, and ended at the old golf course.

And leading the pack: The Tanory family.

I'm a computer programmer, so my daily exercise involves walking to and fro the coffee bar, as well as sprinting to the bathroom every morning at 9:15. And I'm usually winded after both of those activities. It's been a while since I've walked a 5K - or even .1K - but we walked the race because Betty and I both had a grandparent that died of Alzheimer's and we wanted to support research to combat this disease.

Betty and I took turns pushing Anne's stroller during the race. At times it was difficult to speed walk with the stroller, but at other times the stroller came in handy - like the times we swerved Anne's stroller directly into another walker who was trying to overtake us.

We speed walked like nobody's business, and at the end of the race I had all of the same ailments that a marathon runner would have: a burning pain in my side, blisters on my heels, and bloody nipples. Betty was fine, though - she barely broke a sweat.

Like I said... it's been a while since I've done any exercise.

Today I'm going to recover from my grueling 5K walk by laying on the couch and watching football all day. But next week I'm thinking of starting the Couch to 5K exercise program, but only if my nipples have healed by then.

No comments: