Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Singing Sensation

I love singing in my car because I can sing as loud as I want and nobody can hear me. Plus it's the only place anyone will let me sing. I've been kicked out of karaoke bars before because my voice is that bad.

But as much as I love to sing in my car, I've always quit singing when stopping at a red light and/or when someone pulls alongside me. If a really good song is on I might cover my mouth in a pretend "deep thought" pose and softly sing into the palm of my hand.

But today something quite different happened. I was singing along with a great song when I stopped at red light and a car pulled alongside me. There were two adults and a child in the car. I was already mid-chorus, so I just decided to keep singing. And when I say "singing" I mean belting the song out at the top of my lungs, using arm motions and even turning my car's dome light on and off to simulate stage lighting.

Like I said, it was a really good song.

At first the people alongside me looked at me like I was crazy. The adults tried to ignore me, but the kid in the back pointed and laughed. Then the parents looked at me out of the corner of their eyes with what seemed like pitying smiles before breaking out in laughter as well.

I didn't care about their laughter, though, because I was so into my song by that point that my little car couldn't contain my voice, and I felt that I had to let it out. So I rolled down my window and sang the lyrics directly at the car on the side of me. And yes, I was still using arm motions.

I've never seen anyone go from laughter to total embarrassment that fast. They were so shocked and embarrassed that they sped off, right into the middle of a busy intersection. Luckily for everyone involved, the two cars that hit them were only going 20 mph, so there was minimal damage.

And as I passed them on the street I hung my head out the window and sang a sweet melody to them. But I guess they didn't think I had a good voice because instead of cheering for my performance they instead chose to flick me the bird.

Oh well. Maybe I'll just stick to not singing at red lights.

No comments: