Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Couch to 5K

I've officially started the Couch to 5K running program. The goal is to go from a flabby, weak, pasty yet extremely handsome computer programmer into a person capable of running a 5K in just about 2 months.

The first step - some would say the hardest step - is getting off the couch. I circumvented that step by getting off my La-Z-Boy. So I guess I'm doing the La-Z-Boy to 5K program.

The way I did this was to lean way back with the chair's legs up, then lean forward and pop the legs down at the same time. The momentum carried me forward and off the chair, and unfortunately for me, onto the ground since my legs were so weak from 10 years of atrophy due to a lack of exercise.

But nonetheless, I got off my butt. Step 1: complete!

The Couch to 5K program is a big step for me. I've never really had the desire to do much in the way of exercise after tearing my ACL during an indoor soccer game, around 2000. I knew I couldn't play soccer again with as much mobility as before without getting surgery, and since I was never going to be a professional soccer player anyway, I decided to skip the surgery. (But if any MLS teams ask, I'm in tip-top shape.)

And I've always hated running long distances - my forte was always short sprints. Sprint 30 yards, rest... sprint 30 yards, rest. That was the way I played soccer. Sometimes I would sprint even if the ball wasn't around.

Running a 5K was never out of my reach, but definitely never something that I would try to do sober.

But my buddy Brannon started the Couch to 5K plan a few months ago and he's already completed his first 5K. With a sensible diet he's also lost 30 pounds.

I first decided to kick Brannon's ass so that he'd have to lie in his bed for a few days, with the goal of getting him to not run. But then I thought: if this is the way I plan on going about feeling better about myself then I'd have to kick everyone's ass who exercises. I figured I could take 80-90%, but the rest would be too much for me. It's like they say: If you can only beat 80% of them, join them.

So far I've run twice. The first time I did OK - I only felt like dying twice. And the last time I ran I actually felt good. So I'm already improving.

If you or someone you know wants to run 3 or more times a week for 30 minutes, give me a holler!

No comments: