Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Inflatable Christmas!

A couple of years ago I complained about a neighbor who put up a bunch of inflatables outside his house during the Christmas season. It was the first Christmas that I had ever seen inflatables outside anyone's home, and I thought it was ridiculous that someone would put so many in the same yard at the same time.

Whether or not I like the inflatables is now a moot point - my daughter LOVES them, and so we visit them ten times a day. We wave hello and night-night to Elmo, Ho Ho (Santa), Minnie, Homer, SpongeBob, and the other inflatables as we pass by every day.

I've met my neighbors and they seem perfectly sane. I even like them. I used to work with the lady of the house, and she's incredibly nice. So I would like to formally apologize to them in this blog - it was wrong of me to try to destroy their inflatables with an air dart gun. I now see that children (of all ages) love the inflatable decorations.

Plus, air darts are not very reliable projectile weapons.

Since Anne loves the inflatables so much, we decided to take her out to Denham Springs where we heard a guy has hundreds (and possibly thousands) of inflatables. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go, but Betty was sure that I was going to take her and Anne. And you know what they say: if the wife ain't happy, nobody's happy!

Needless to say, all of us really enjoyed the inflatables. Here are some of the pictures of this guy's house. By the way, no two inflatables were the same.

In front of the house:
[Click for Image]

[Click for Image]

The Driveway:
[Click for Image]

[Click for Image]

The back yard:
[Click for Image]

[Click for Image]

[Click for Image]

[Click for Image]

[Click for Image]

[Click for Image]


Notable characters:

Mickey:
[Click for Image]

Minnie:
[Click for Image]

Elmo:
[Click for Image]

Winnie the Pooh, Tigger and Eeyore:
[Click for Image]

And of course, Army Santa:
[Click for Image]

Betty and I met the homeowner / inflatable-lover. He was a really nice guy. He said it took two and half weeks to put everything up. When I asked if his electricity bill was through the roof, he said it's less expensive to blow up all the inflatables than it is to pay for the electric bill in the summer due to the heavy A/C use required in South Louisiana.

[Click for Image]

He said he was inspired to put all of the inflatables up after meeting a cancer survivor who had gone to St. Jude's Children Hospital. The child was so excited to see some inflatable decorations, so he decided to put up decorations all over his yard to make the children in his neighborhood happy. He also accepts donations, and all proceeds go to St. Jude's.

[Click for Image]

So inflatables are part of the festivus miracle after all. I'll have to tell my neighbors that they need to put more stuff out in their yard if they want to keep up with the Joneses!

More pictures:

Frosties, Minnie, Toy Soldiers, Santa's Reindeer, penguins, Santa's sleigh, Santa sitting, and last but not least, Santa Mickey!

If you want to visit the inflatables, go to Weeping Willing street in the Willows subdivision in Denham Springs. They basically take up half the street, so you can't miss them!

1 comment:

Kat said...

I really enjoyed your post, it was amusing. Wow, that guy sure does have a lot of inflatables!