Monday, January 04, 2010

Burning Sensation

Baton Rouge is burning, and it's not the usual genital burning associated with the after effects of a late night LSU party.

The Caterie, as well as Claitor's Law Books and some other businesses on the corner of Acadian and Perkins, burned down on Friday.

We heard about the fire at the Caterie on Friday during the day, but we actually saw firefighters still trying to put out the fire on Saturday around 10 am. We were heading to Varsity Sports on Perkins to buy some new running shoes, but had to detour at the underpass on Acadian because the road was blocked off. We stopped in the Outback parking lot and took pictures of firefighters trying to control the fire.

Here are some pictures from Saturday:

[Picture: Firefighters at the Caterie]

[Picture: Firefighters at the Caterie]

[Picture: Firefighters at the Caterie]

[Picture: Firefighters at the Caterie]

[Picture: Firefighters at the Caterie]

When we left Varsity Sports we had to detour again, and we were able to get a glimpse at the front of the building. The front actually looks OK.

[Picture: Firefighters at the Caterie]

I hadn't been to the Caterie in years, but it's still sad to see it burn. I saw the Molly Ringwalls there, and of course everyone saw Allison Collins there. I also think I saw two girls make out there once.

The people who own the Caterie plan to rebuild. But it won't be the same... unless the Molly Ringwalls are playing while two girls make out. Then it will kind of be the same.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its sad I know. I used to love that place but really hadnt been in a year or so because I work alot. I was actually the first of a group of 3 firefighters thru the back door when it first caught. That place was a nightmare. You having been there before, you can probably atest for just how mixed up the layout of that place is(not just the front but all the behind the scenes hallways, rooms stairwells etc not to mention all the adjoining spaces), now take that and blindfold yourself and turn the heat up to about 200 to 350 degrees. Like i said, a nightmare. I sincerely hated to see the caterie reduced to ashes in hours but Im just glad that no firefighters died in this one, and me and my partner made it out with only the usual everyday burns and smoke inhalation. It definately had all the makings of a fireman killer. Years apon years of remodeling and add ons gave the caterie a almost new and differant atmosphere everytime I came in, but it in turn gave the fire many differant avenues and hiding places that couldnt be found even in total visibility, plywood over doors, false ceilings to cover electrical, etc. It was what we fireman call a fun house which it was anything but. Everyday since the fire Ive had to drive by it and see the rubble and I hate it because I had some great times there as did many citizens of B.R. I wish we could have stopped it in it tracks and saved this awesome place but like I said it was a nightmare and if The caterie will never again give me anymore great memories atleast it let me go home in one piece to my family. Kinda bittersweet I guess. RIP Caterie, you will be missed.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and at the reopening ceremony they should definately have the M.R playing, and 2 chicks making out couldnt hurt either......Actually lets make it 3!!!!

Bobby said...

Wow, I can just about imagine how chaotic it must have been trying to put out that fire.

Thank you for your duty as a fireman! We can't say thank you enough times for all that you do for us.