Thursday, January 21, 2010

My New Office

My coworkers and I are trying something new: we're sharing cubicles. We call it "cube sharing" because we're too lazy to say "cubicle."

Cube sharing is a pretty simple idea. I go into the office Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and my cube-buddy Van is there Tuesday and Thursday. I get one side of the desk, he gets the other. We each have a drawer, each have a shelf in the cabinet, and each have pictures of our families on our desk.

Sometimes I even tape my family's faces onto Van's pictures. When I'm there it's my desk, and I'll do whatever the hell I want with it.

On our days away from the office, we can work at home or a coffee shop - wherever we can find a place to work. When I'm working from home, I still shave, shower and put on work clothes. I have to follow my routine. It also helps to reduce the amount of time it takes me to get to work if somebody calls me and tells me they need me to attend a meeting. Plus, if a neighbor drops by the house in the middle of the day, I don't look like some kind of homicidal maniac that stays home all day in his PJs. (I'll just look like a professionally dressed homicidal maniac.)

But occasionally, if the weather is nice outside, I'll do like I did today and throw on some shorts, sit outside on the patio, and work while Betty and Anne play outside.

[Picture: Bob hard at work]

[Picture: Bob hard at work]

[Picture: Bob hard at work]

No comments: