Thursday, February 25, 2010

Crash and Burn

I saw a pretty bad accident on my way home from work today. I was driving down Old Jefferson near Stumberg, when all of a sudden, a car driving probably 60 swerved out right in front of traffic, turned the wheel sharply in order to miss one car, clipped another car, then swerved right off the road - on two wheels - over the curb. Car parts went flying at this point... but to top it all off, the car smashed into a billboard's pole, smashing in the front of the car. The engine then went up in flames.

[Picture: Car Crash - prior to the car completely catching on fire]

This happened about 50 feet in front of me. If I had left work a few seconds earlier, I might have been hit.

Me and a few other people pulled over and went to help the driver of the car. I stopped to survey the scene while I called 911, because the car had apparently hit a water main. I wanted to make sure that it was actually water, and not gasoline or any other type of flammable liquid, because not only was the car on fire, but the parts that had flown off the car upon impact were also on fire. The tires started popping as the flames got higher, and I was afraid that the car was going to explode.

[Picture: Car Crash - after the flambe']

Two guys pulled a woman from the smashed car. The air bags had deployed, but I don't think the woman driving the car was wearing her seat belt because they pulled her out of the back seat. The woman looked dazed and confused, and a few people said they thought she was on drugs.

The Baton Rouge police were on the scene in literally seconds after the crash. The 911 operator was able to triangulate my position, and told me that an ambulance, fire truck and more police were on their way. The fire department showed up maybe two minutes after the crash, and were able to douse the car just as the fire started raging. The Baton Rouge police, fire department and emergency response teams were definitely on the ball on this one.

Great job, guys!

As for me, after calling 911, I did the next thing that came to mind, and took out my iPhone and took pictures and videos. After all, I have my readers to think about!

Now I just need to find a new way home from work.

No comments: