Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Fitness in a Snap

My buddy and I joined Snap Fitness. It's one of those 24/7 gyms in a strip mall where the wall facing the street is entirely made of glass. You can see out, and everyone else can see in.

(In case you were wondering, yes, I work out by the windows, and yes, I wear disgustingly short shorts and bend over right as somebody walks by, just to freak them out. Nobody wants to see that. But if you want to get in shape, you've got to overcome seemingly insurmountable odds.)

I joined Snap Fitness because, after starting the Couch to 5K program, I've realized how out of shape I am. I mean, I always thought it was odd to be winded after speed-walking from my cubicle to the restrooms at work, but recently I've been extra tired.

When I turned 30 I thought I was old, but working out at Snap Fitness has only reaffirmed my belief that I am an old fart. The elliptical is the bane of my existence, I can only lift about half the weight that I used to be able to handle when I was in high school, and sometimes it takes two towels to wipe off my sweat from a machine once I'm done with it. And that's only after a single set.

The goal is not really to lose a set amount of weight, although I'd like to be slimmer. The goal is just to feel better. And, I'll be honest, it's also to freak people out as I stretch at the front of the gym by the windows in my short shorts.

No comments: