Friday, February 05, 2010

Julie, Julia & Bobby T

Betty and I just finished watching Julie & Julia, starring Meryl Streep and Amy Adams.

The movie is based off two books. One book is Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, which was the first French Cuisine book written in English.

The other book is Julie and Julia by Julie Powell. Powell's book is based on her blog, The Julie/Julia Project.

A book based off a blog? Then a movie based off the book?

I smelled a Tantrum from a mile away.

I started thinking of how I could turn my blog into a book, and then turn my book into a movie, or go directly from blog to movie. I'll even accept a blog to made-for-TV-movie, blog to direct-to-dvd-movie, and/or blog to blog-written-on-toilet-paper (then to movie).

I had a thousand ideas, but I needed Betty's approval. I also needed a deadline. After all, in Julie & Julia, Julie Powell gives herself one year to cook all 524 recipes of Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I want to do something similar: give myself a deadline and then stick with it.

I thought of spending an entire year doing something each day and writing about it, but with a baby on the way that might not be possible. What about up until the baby gets here? Maybe... but Betty might need me to do more around the house as she gets closer to the end of the pregnancy.

So I decided that I'll do something for Lent.

OK, I have the deadline set. Now what exactly am I going to be doing?

I jokingly told Betty that I could go to every single adult site on the net and write about it, but she didn't think that was funny at all. But between me and you, that option is still on the table.

I then thought I could watch a bunch of classic movies on Netflix On Demand. An interesting idea - except I already do that. (Next up: Metropolis.)

Then I thought I could try cooking. After all, that's what inspired Julie Powell, who inspired me. But Betty quickly shot that idea down with some lame excuse about that one time I almost burned the house down while cooking eggs. I mean, come on... that was soooo last week.

So I don't know what I will be doing for Lent, but it will be something fun. If you have an idea, or if you have something interesting that you are either giving up for Lent or doing extra for Lent, or if you also enjoyed Julie & Julia, leave me a comment.

No comments: