Sunday, February 07, 2010

Who Dat!

It's the biggest day in Saints history, and instead of being on Bourbon Street in New Orleans - or even in the state of Louisiana - we watched Drew Brees (aka, Breesus) and company defeat the Indianapolis Colts 31-17 in Houston, Texas. And yet, there's no place else I'd rather be at this moment.

It all started with a text message on Friday....

My parents drove in from Lafayette to babysit Anne so I could take Betty to see Avatar. Of course, I had to convince Betty that she needed to see Avatar, then convince her that I needed to take her. It was either my excuse to go see Avatar again, or it was a loving husband fulfilling his duty to take his wife to see the greatest box-office grossing movie of all time. (FYI, it was my excuse to go see Avatar again.)

We had some time to kill before the movie so Betty and I went to Barnes and Noble in the Perkins Rowe shopping center. That's when I got a text message from my mom that my 8.5-ish months pregnant sister-in-law's water just broke.

I wanted to text my mom back to say, "Awesome! See you in 4 hours," but knew she wouldn't find that funny at all. We knew that she would be going crazy trying to get to Houston to see her new grandbaby. We rushed out of B&N, drove back home, packed our stuff and hit the road within 20 minutes. Packing was easy - I was going to wear my Saints shirt all weekend, even to bed, and figured the massive amount of alcohol I planned on ingesting during the Super Bowl would kill any germs in my mouth, so why bother packing a toothbrush?

My baby niece, Brooke, was born Saturday, and we got to see her Sunday morning. When I held her, she opened her eyes and looked at me, and seemed to be saying, "Hey, you look familiar, are you my dada?" to which I replied, "No, I'm your dad's younger, handsomer brother - I'm your Uncle Bebo, and I love you." Then we snuggled.

The Saints won the Super Bowl... and my little niece Brooke was brought into this world. What a wonderful weekend.

Now... time to go flashing for beads in downtown Houston! Who Dat!

No comments: