Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Lost

Betty and I have just started watching "Lost" on NetFlix On Demand. We just watched episode 2. I know, I know, we're six years behind. But we like to watch an entire television series at one time.

It's kind of a hobby, really. We watched all of the episodes of the Sopranos at once... then all episodes of Entourage, Mad Men and Seinfeld at once. The list goes on. Watching everything at once helps us to catch any subtle references from one episode to the next.

So that's what we're doing with Lost. But Season 1 has 25 episodes, and each episode is 43 minutes long, so with six seasons we're looking at a couple of months of nothing but Lost.

It had better be worth it.

Watching Lost makes me think of what I would do if I were ever stranded on an island. Assuming that my iPhone's battery would die after a few hours of playing Unblock Me, I'd probably spend the rest of the time on a hand-crafted sand toilet, chafing myself raw while humping a hand-crafted sand woman, and/or making male genitalia out of sticks and coconuts.

Basically I would be the first person that everyone else on the island would consider eating.

From what I've seen and what I know about Lost, I'm struck by the similarities between Lost and a series of books called Riverworld that I read a few years ago. Lost also reminds me of Pincher Martin by William Golding - who also wrote Lord of the Flies, which Lost also emulates in the form of the plane crash, the people stranded on the island, etc.

Maybe Lost is a thesis on William Golding? Could I have figured out the mystery after only two episodes?!?

No comments: