Betty and I read books to Anne every night, and right now we're in a Disney princess phase. Anne's also at the stage where she enjoys watching Disney movies - over and over again. So although I haven't done extensive research on this particular topic, I think I'm more than qualified to give an expert opinion on the matter. And that matter is:
Are Snow White and Sleeping Beauty the same person?
I'll give you the facts and give you my two cents, then you decide for yourself. Also, just remember that any conclusion other than mine is wrong.
Here are the obvious similarities:
1. Both Snow White and Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) are princesses.
2. Both are put into a deep sleep by witches.
3. Both are awoken by princes.
4. Both princes awake the girls by kissing them. (And I think Prince Charming might have copped a feel during his kiss.)
5. Both girls are cared for by little people. Snow White had seven dwarfs taking care of her, and Aurora had her fairy godmothers. And we all know that fairies are tiny.
Here are the not so obvious similarities:
1. The Wicked Queen is Snow White's evil stepmother. Maleficent is a wicked fairy who is Disney's interpretation of the evil fairy godmother.
2. Both girls are named after colors / nature. Snow White is obviously white snow... and an aurora is a natural light in the sky.
3. Prince Phillip is the name of the prince who awakens Sleeping Beauty, but in some older versions of the story, the prince is simply Prince Charming - the very same name of the prince who awakens Snow White.
4. Both Snow White and Aurora spend a lot of time in a woodland cottage. Snow White finds the dwarfs' cottage after running away from the evil queen's henchman, and Aurora is taken to a woodland cottage by her fairy godmothers.
5. I couldn't think of a fifth reason, but wanted to round out my thesis.
We haven't gotten to Cinderella yet, but I'm already counting the similarities between her story and Snow White's / Aurora's.
Have a different opinion? Leave me a comment and tell me what you think.
To Serve Man, with Software
2 months ago