Thursday, April 29, 2010

Strangers in the Night

I like to sing - much to Betty's dismay - but I can never remember the words. Or the melody. So I just make my own words up.

I used to make words up on accident. I would think that I was singing the correct words, but then realize that I had combined three totally different songs into one unmelodious tune.

That's when I turned my attention to actively making up words for songs.

My dad and I used to make up words for songs. Or to be more exact, we'd make up songs for words. If you named a word then we could make a song out of it. For example...

Fish? "A fish is an animal that swims all day long...." (Like to Swing on a Star, by Bing Crosby)

Mouse? "Heeeere I come to save the daaay! Mighty Mouse is on the way!" (Mighty Mouse theme song)

Barbell? "Barbell my belle, you smell like hell!" (Not a real song, thankfully.)

But tonight I came across something really fun... making up sexual lyrics to otherwise non-sexual songs. And it all started with "Strangers in the Night." The key was to replace the word "night" with something else.

Like "spit" or "money for sex", or my personal favorite, "juices."

Need another example? "Yakkity yak, don't talk back!" is magically transformed into "Shackity shack, shackity shack!"

"With Arms Wide Open" by Creed becomes "With Legs Wide Open."

Once you start singing these new and improved songs, it will be hard to sing them any other way. Believe me. Those last two versions have been around since Spring Break 2001. I won't name names (as long as the check arrives by next week - you know who you are) but we've got plenty more to go around.

Leave a comment with a phrase from a song, and I'll sexify it. Or even better, leave your own sexified version of your favorite song for all the world to see how creative you are.

No comments: