Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Bad Call

I hate referees. It doesn't matter what sport I'm watching, I can always find fault with the ref. If there was a ref for Chess, Checkers or Quidditch, I would definitely point him or her out as the dumbest, biggest asshole in the room.

But refs don't win or lose games. Players do.

As everybody knows, the US got robbed of a goal against Slovenia by a controversial call by a moronic ref. And since then, nobody has stopped talking about it. But there's one thing nobody has said so far:

The ref didn't cause us to not win the game. We did. Now it's time to get over it and focus on the next game!

Refs make bad calls. It's part of the game. Yelling at the ref is actually part of what makes soccer so much fun. I got a lot of yellow cards when I played soccer, and 90 percent of them were for calling the ref a dumbass to his face. The other 10 percent were due to obscene hand gestures and comments about his mom.

And did it ever help? Ever change the ref's mind, even one time? Ever make the ref think: Gee, I got that call wrong?

No. That's what's so great about Jim Joyce, the ref who made a bad call that ruined a perfect game. Sure, it was a bad call, but at least he was man enough to admit it. And if you're one of those people who says, "Yeah, but how could he not have apologized... it was evident on instant replay!" then you don't know refs like I do.

I used to have friends whose parents were refs. It didn't matter what they'd say - the sky was orange, bacon comes from cows, the player was offsides - they never EVER took anything back. They thought very highly of themselves and their opinions, and they never apologized.

So although we got a bad call, the fact is that the US had several chances to score, and worse, we allowed Slovenia to score by playing poor defense. And that's why the US tied with Slovenia. Slovenia played well, and the US wasn't expecting such a fight. Now we just need to play our best against Slovenia.

The world is our oyster, and all we need to do now is kick it's gooey, tasty center into the back of the net!

No comments: