Tuesday, August 17, 2010

OMG WWII on FACEBOOK!

My coworkers and I were talking about taking something - a movie, some historical event, etc - and turning it on its head to make it more modern. What we came up with was the idea of taking the musical Mamma, Mia! and making it into a Jerry Springer episode.

It all started when we were heading off to lunch one day. The guy we conned into driving had the "Mamma, Mia!" soundtrack blaring. And since he refused my request to pull up alongside a couple of gangstas in a car next to us, roll down the window and crank up "Dancing Queen," we thought of the Jerry Springer tie-in as a way to entertain ourselves.

We thought we were geniuses, until I read a link going around Facebook called OMG WWII on FACEBOOK! which is a spoof on WWII with the premise of "What would WWII had been like if it took place on Facebook?" It was originally created by Matthew Leeb and posted on a site called CollegeHumor.

Ever since I first read it, I can't get enough of it. I read this thing at least thrice a day! And every time I look at it, I see something completely new. I love how the dates on all of the posts correspond to the historical dates of the events. And I love how the UK says "Woot woot, just who I wanted!" after taking the "Which iconic leader are you?" quiz and gets the result of "Winston Churchill."

Absolutely brilliant.

I don't know about you, but I'd still like to see a version of Mamma, Mia! where the main characters throw chairs at each other, beat each other senseless, and take verbal abuse from the audience, all while the sleazy host determines which guest he's going to bang next. But having never seen Mamma, Mia! before, I can't say whether or not that would be better than OMG WWII on FACEBOOK!

No comments: