Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Burger Error!

As an IT professional I'm always looking for ways to make the customer's experience better. But to do that I have to put myself in the shoes of the customer. (Seriously, I like to steal people's shoes when they're not looking. At least my feet aren't stinking up the joint, like some people's. You know who you are.)

I like to think: What would make my life easier? And what do I hate seeing the most? Let's write code to fix it!

One thing that I hate to see when I'm using a product is any type of error. But errors are just a fact of life - especially when you maintain an existing system, you have no control over what someone wrote five years ago. As a programmer, my goal is to leave the system in better working order than how I found it.

That's why I have a new suggestion for all you programmers out there:

BURGER ERRORS!

Think about it: instead of getting a "timed out" error when checking your Fantasy Football roster on your iPhone, what if you got a picture of a big, juicy burger that said, "BURGER ERROR!" You couldn't help but feel happy after that. You'd probably want more errors!

I thought of burger errors last night, but then did some searching and found that Burger King is going to start running ads on 404 (file not found) pages. I like it. Long live the King!

But don't limit it to burgers. Does your code have an infinite loop? Sounds like your program needs to display a donut somewhere. Does your project crash often? How about a Red Bull or an energy bar displayed, with text that says: avoid the crash, drink Red Bull!

All I'm saying is, we're in a recession yet we still have great opportunities to make money and/or just make people happy or hungry. All it takes is a little ingenuity, some management backbone to get these projects implemented, and some high resolution pictures of burgers provided by your favorite local restaurant.

Who's with me?!?

No comments: