Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

I recently moved to a new cubicle at work, and my new keyboard has a big red warning tab on its cable that says that typing can cause Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Which makes sense: although there are several causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, it's mostly associated with typing.

The "correct way" to type is to have your hands hovering over the keyboard and your wrists slighly bent. The problem is that this "correct way" puts pressure on the median nerve in your wrist, which in turn can cause Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

I learned how to type in high school (thanks, Mrs. Dauphin!) and was taught the correct way to type - and type fast. But because I'm a slacker, my hands have never wanted to stay in that upright position. That means that my wrists aren't always bent, so I'm not putting pressure on the median nerves in my wrists - meaning I've never experienced pain or numbness in my hands due to typing.

Hurray for being lazy!

That's not to say that I never experience pain or numbness in my arms. I sleep on my side a lot, and usually end up cutting off the blood circulation in my arm. I routinely wake up with no feeling in my arms, then have to hold my limp arm in one hand and shake it to get any feeling back in it. If I wasn't always concerned that my arm would die and have to be amputated, watching me flail my own arm around might be kind of humorous.

But hey, at least I won't lose arm functionality due to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. And if I do lose my arm to sleep-related issues, I'd want to keep it so I could hit people with it. I'd have a longer reach.

So I guess the red warning tag on my keyboard should read: "Warning! Following proper typing technique is hazardous to your health!"

Sometimes it pays off to be a slacker!

No comments: