Monday, January 03, 2011

The Beginning of Things

It's funny how things start.

Think about it: how did you get to be where you are today? At what point did you say, "I want to be a teacher?" or "I want to be an electrical engineer?" or "I want to run a nudist colony, and I don't care if a bunch of fat people join."

I knew I wanted to be a computer programmer after seeing a Q Basic program run when I was a junior in high school. I was helping another kid debug his program and once we fixed a single semi-colon, the monitor lit up into a fireworks program that changed how I thought of programming forever. I knew right then and there that's what I wanted to do.

Likewise, I remember starting the blog. My buddies and I were sitting around at work and making fun of Subway's term "Sandwich Artist". So I created a blog so that I could write about it. When I published my first blog post, I was nervous and scared, but excited.

Betty knew she wanted to be a teacher while in college. When she was a sophomore in college, her sorority volunteered to work at the Baton Rouge Speech and Hearing Clinic and the Louisiana School for the Deaf, and after working with the kids she knew that's what she wanted to do with her life. (She also says that she hated the Business Calculus courses she took while undecided, so there you go.)

I'm really looking forward to 2011. Who knows what's in store for us? And who knows how those great things will begin?!

No comments: