Monday, February 07, 2011

DINKs

My brother introduced me to a new term this weekend: DINKs. It stands for "Dual Income, No Kids."

Use it in a sentence, you say? OK. "My sister and her husband are DINKs." I know this because my brother told me so.

Betty and I used to be DINKs once. It seems like a long, long time ago. But once upon a time, Betty and I could do anything we wanted without having to worry about anyone else. I guess that makes us ex-DINKs.

Now, only I can live a worry-free life. Betty still has to worry about the kids. And about me, of course. The kids and I are all helpless without her. Actually, Anne could probably forage for food, and would probably make herself leader of a wild pack of children if she had her way. And I'm sure that if Peter flashed his smile (with his four new teeth), someone would take care of him.

But I'd definitely starve to death without Betty. Although my extra layers of fat would sustain me for a few weeks.

I thought my brother had just made up the term DINK, but apparently there's a huge DINK subculture. There are blogs for and about DINKs, a formal definition of DINKs, and even a Wikipedia page on DINKs.

But the more I read about DINKs, the more I'm happy to not be one. I wouldn't trade my kids for anything. I'm much happier now with children than I was without them. They've given me a sense of purpose in life, and every day is a new adventure with them.

So instead of being DINKs, Betty and I have been upgraded to a new term:

SITCOM: Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage.

No comments: