Saturday, March 19, 2011

Kite Flying, Cajun Style!

It was a beautiful day today, and my daughter suggested that we go fly a kite. I thought that was a great idea, so we pulled our old Mickey Mouse inflatable kite out of the store room, unwound the string, and ran up and down the driveway as fast as we could. It was the most exercise I've gotten in a week.

But alas, our kite didn't fly.

I thought our kite failed to fly because there was no wind. So between gulps of air, while bent over with my hands on my knees trying to catch my breath, I tried to explain to Anne that wind's important when you're kite flying, and if there's no wind then the kite can't fly.

And she did what any 2 and 3/4ths year old would do: she looked up at me with those big beautiful eyes, frowned slightly, and screamed at the top of her lungs, "I WANT TO FLY THE KITE NOW!!!"

I couldn't disappoint my daughter, so I decided to make my own wind... with my leaf blower.

I had Anne hold the string, then I pointed my leaf blower at the kite and let loose!

[Picture: Making wind, redneck style]

The wind generated by the leaf blower was ultimately insufficient to fly the kite. But we still had a lot of fun trying to make it fly.

On the bright side, we now have an excuse to go by a new fancy kite!

No comments: