Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mother's Day

I'm a few days late with my Mother's Day blog, mainly because I'm so tired from being Mom for a day.

My daughter likes reading the Fancy Nancy books at the moment. They're great books. Nancy says a fancy word, like "bouquet", then explains that "bouquet is a fancy word for a bunch of flowers." It's great! It's a vocabulary lesson without a mean old English teacher looking down her nose at you.

There's a Fancy Nancy book for Mother's Day, so I gave it to Anne for Easter so we could get ready for Mother's Day. In Fancy Nancy's Marvelous Mother's Day Brunch, Nancy, along with her sister and her dad, do the following things for her mom:

1. Nancy makes her mom a "Do not disturb" sign for her door, so her mommy can nap. So Anne and I made a sign that hangs on the doorknob of Mommy's room and says, "Nap in progress!" Fancy Nancy lets her mom sleep in late, but Anne was just too excited to see Mommy and couldn't wait to wish her a Happy Mother's Day, so Betty had to settle for being woken up early. That just means we all got to spend more time together!

2. Nancy makes her mom a glittery card. Anne, Peter and I got Mommy a card and drew our names in it.

3. Nancy makes her mommy some waffles with whipped cream and blueberries.

[Pic: Waffles, blueberries and whipped cream!]

We also took Mommy out for beignets for lunch, just to make sure she got enough sugar!

[Pic: Beignets!]

4. Nancy gives her mommy a bouquet of flowers. I wasn't able to manage that, because I wish Betty all weekend and didn't want to get flowers ahead of time. But Anne, Peter and I did give her flower seeds that we all planted. (It might be too late to plant anything, but we had fun planting them as a family!)

5. Nancy and her sister give her mommy a nap. So we made sure that Mommy got a nice long nap.

The book doesn't say anything about dinner, but Daddy made steaks for Mommy. Take that, Nancy's dad!

One other gift that Mommy got was that she didn't have to be Mommy for the day. Instead, I got to play Mommy. And I have to say, being Mommy is a lot of work. I was worn out by midday!

So... thanks to Betty for being such a great mom to our kids! I love you! And I'm so glad that I don't have to be Mommy every day! I appreciate you so much, you have no idea. I'm so amazed at what you're able to teach our kids. Mother's Day is supposed to be about giving you gifts, but you gave us a gift by showing us how much of your own time and energy you sacrifice to give to us. You showed us how special we are to you, by us pretending to be you for a few hours.

You are the greatest. I love you.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out that my wife has two great role models for Moms of the Century, with her mom and my mom. Us Tanory / Mathes men have it good!

No comments: