Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Power of Facebook

There's been lots of talk about social networking lately. Journalists have started just quoting whatever is on a celebrity's Twitter page instead of doing actual research. Facebook and LinkedIn are probably about to have IPOs. MySpace is going down, finally - it's 92 in Social Networking years.

Even Toyota just came out with a new social network called Toyota Friend so your car can tell you when you need an oil change, in case the dummy lights and dashboard sticker aren't enough to get you to take care of your car. It also tweets you to tell you that it's about to go out of control on the highway, all while uploading photos of you picking your noise and/or singing to Sirius Hits One at red lights.

Personally, I'm partial to Facebook. I swore that I would never get on it, but now that I'm on it, I need it. It's digital crack.

But social networks aren't just about keeping up with your friends' current events or scouring your friends' pictures for bikini shots from their summer vacation. Social networks can actually help you.

Take, for example, my keyboard.

A few months ago Betty got me piano lessons as a gift. How wonderful is that??? The only catch is, I needed something to practice on.

We have a piano but it was severely out of tune. (We just got it tuned, and it was down a half step across all keys. It hadn't been tuned for 30+ years and six moves!) And I didn't have a keyboard.

But I did have my daughter's Kitty Keyboard. (The one pictured in the link is orange, but ours is green.)

Kitty Keyboard makes lots of great sounds - regular piano, organ, bells, an eery voice sound, but my personal fave is called "Meow". When you're on Meow Mode, every key makes a meow sound.

I like to play 46 and 2 by Tool on the Kitty Keyboard in Meow Mode. I just can't help myself!

Anyway, one day I decided that if I was going to take piano seriously then I needed a keyboard. But I also didn't want to spend $300 for a new one. So I logged onto Facebook on my iPhone, asked if anyone was selling one, and got a response 10 minutes later.

That's the power of Facebook, people!

I'd like to thank my friend Caye for responding so quickly to my Facebook post about a keyboard. I'm still not very good at the piano yet, but at least now when I'm banging away at the keyboard at night, I can plug in my headphones so Betty can sleep soundly knowing that she doesn't have to hear me practice and that I'll be entertained for hours on end.

No comments: