Saturday, June 18, 2011

Happy Father's Day!

It's Father's Day, which is a day to celebrate fathers. As you might remember, my dad is the world's greatest dad. Please remind your own father about that today.

I'm also a father, so I like to think about myself on this special day. And just to round out my list of amazing parents, let's throw in Jor-El, who was Superman's dad.

But here's today's lesson:

Even Superman's dad had to get permission from his wife, Lara Lor-Van, before rocketing his son off to Earth in order to evade Krypton's destruction.

Or, if you prefer cliches, behind every great man is a great woman.

Father's Day is a day to let your dad do whatever he wants. He doesn't have to work, doesn't have to do stuff around the house that he doesn't want to, gets waited on and pampered by his wife... in other words, it's exactly the same as every other day.

I'm flattered that fathers are being honored today, but this Father's Day, I'm sharing the love. Today (like every day), I'm thankful for my wife - who made me a father. She rules the roost. I have no idea what's ever going on in my house or in my life, but she does. She's my external brain.

I'm also thankful for my kids. I don't remember what life was like before they were born. They give my life reason and purpose.

I'm thankful for my parents, who I feel like I understand more and more as I grow older and interact with my own kids. Thank you for always being really cool parents and amazing grandparents. Ditto for my in-laws. And let's not forget that my dad and Betty's dad have some pretty amazing women running the show for them.

I'm also of thankful for my brother and sister. Sure, they did steal some of the attention away from me at times while we were growing up... but I'm so well adjusted because my parents made all of their mistakes with my older brother, then were well-versed with mad parenting skillz when they had me. I like to say that I'm their favorite. (My mom says that we're all her favorite. My dad tells each one of us that we're his favorite. But we know the truth.)

I recently took a few boxes of my old stuff home from my parents' house. There were some old books, school work, trophies and pictures. One of the pictures was of me playing on the floor with my dad when I was probably seven or eight. When I saw it, I realized that that's how I've always thought of my dad - of us just playing on the floor and having fun. That's how I want my kids to remember their childhood. So that's all I want to do on Father's Day.

And maybe eat some pizza and go to the spray park. I mean, is it Father's Day or is it Father's Day?

No comments: