Monday, January 30, 2012

From the Mouth of Babies

Some of my family's most beloved sayings, phrases and names come from babies.

For example, we all call my grandmother "GaGa" (or Gaga if you prefer) because that's what my oldest cousin, Jeremy, called her when he was a baby. I always called her Gaga, until I felt I was too old for that (like 15-ish), and started calling her Grandma. She pulled me aside and said, "You know, Bobby, I really like it when you call me Gaga. That's what everyone knows me as."

So be it! I never again called her anything but Gaga. She was the original Lady Gaga, by the way.

My family calls donuts "do-buts" because that's what my cousin Jackie called them one time. She was really young - probably 3 or 4, around my daughter's age. I was pretty young then too so I didn't realize how big of a deal this was. As in, I didn't realize that everyone in my entire extended family would still be calling them do-buts to this day. (We sure do!)

So what's the point of all of this? Well, my son can't say "blueberries," so instead he calls them "bootahs." So now we all call them bootahs.

"Want some blueberries, Peter?" Mommy will ask.

"No!" Peter will scream, as he flings other food off his high char.

"Want some bootahs, Peter?" Mommy will ask again, sweetly.

"BOOTAHS!"

There you have it. Gaga, do-buts, bootahs. You're all now one step closer to being Tanorys. All it takes is getting the lingo down as well as growing out your unibrows.

No comments: