Thursday, January 26, 2012

New Levels of Nerdom

I have risen to new heights in nerdom this month. And you know what? I'm not ashamed of it.

Well, not yet anyway.

My first uber-nerdy thing was to get a strap for my glasses. My glasses keep almost falling off my face any time I look down, and my kids love to pull at them. So I asked Santa for a strap for my glasses, and he delivered.


I wore my strap at work for a month without anyone noticing it, because I had gone my usual three months without a haircut and was starting to look like I was a hobo. But once I got my hair cut, it became obvious that something was holding my glasses to my face, and I got a lot of comments on it.

Most of the comments were, "Uh... is that a strap on your glasses?" and "Uh... are you coming back from playing racquetball or something?" My answer to both was, "Yes."

The strap is not as obvious from the side...

But is much more obvious from the back. Although, let's be honest, if you're walking behind me then you're probably checking out my ass.



The other nerdy thing I've started doing is watching Battlestar Galactica. Well, actually, that's not really the nerdy part. I mean, sure, that's somewhat nerdy, but what I'm really watching is Caprica, the prequel to Battlestar Galactica. I haven't even started watching Battlestar Galactica yet and don't even know if I'll like it, but I'm investing 15 hours into watching the prequel on NetFlix. Caprica was even cancelled, but I don't care - I'm just that nerdy right now.

Finally, my last act of Nerdom was finishing Anathem by Neal Stephenson. Stephenson is one of my favorite authors, and I'm not really calling him or the book nerdy. But, there's a lot of math, physics and theology in Stephenson's work, and for the past few weeks I've been looking over some old geometry equations, reading about geodesics, etc. All inspired by Anathem. It was one of the most amazing books that I've read in a long time, and it's helped me catch up on all the geometrical calculations for triangles.

Betty was involved with both my glasses strap and my book, so I have to give her credit for my uber-nerdiness this month. And that's one of the things that I love about her: she gets me. Not only does she get me, but she encourages it and loves me for it.

Now if I could just get her into one of those Princess Leia slave outfits, then my nerdiness will be complete!

No comments: