Monday, January 02, 2012

New Year's Resolution: 640x480

My New Year's Resolution is 640x480.

If you don't get the joke, then... congratulations! You are officially not a computer nerd like me.

So why did I choose 640x480 instead of a traditional resolution like, "Lose weight," "go to the gym" or "1024x768"?

640x480 is one of the oldest video resolutions and is on every computer monitor. When we software developers sit down to develop software, it has to run on 640x480 at a minimum (unless we're writing software for phones). That's why you sometimes see a lot of white space on the left and right side of the screen when you navigate to some websites - because they were written for 640x480 resolution. Annoying, right?

640x480 is the baseline. It's the minimum requirement. It's standard. It's the least common denominator.

It's what I aim to be this year.

Now I'm not saying that I want to fly under the radar, or fail to achieve greatness, or not do my fair share of work. It's just that every year I come up with a grand scheme of losing weight, eating better, exercising more, finally writing a book, finally writing that screenplay I've been thinking about (it's really awesome, by the way), finally revamping my website, etc.

And do I ever do any of those? Not really. Not for more than a week or two, anyway, or for a few hours.

And I feel absolutely fine about that.

So this year I'm not going to stress out about becoming something different. I'm not going to go crazy trying to shed that extra weight that I actually don't mind having. My website doesn't need updating - nobody goes to it anyway. I need to think up a great ending for my book (as well as a beginning and an end) so I should probably do that first before I start trying to find a publisher.

Screw all those overachievers. I'll try to achieve 1024x768 next year. But this year, I'm just going to be myself this year. I'm going to be 640x480.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL.. this is funny.