Monday, January 23, 2012

Rocking Out With Elmo

My son, Peter, is in an Elmo stage right now. He's also in a Mickey Mouse stage, although he calls Mickey "Hot Dog" because they do the Hot Dog dance at the end of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. He also likes Abby Cadabby from Sesame Street, but I'll venture that it's because she's magic and not because she's a hot little muppet.

And although I like watching Mickey Mouse and Elmo, I'd rather do other things, like listen to music and play on the computer.

So I came up with a grand plan: I've combined my love for computers and music with Peter's love for Mickey and Muppets, and whenever Peter gets upset now, we watch Elmo videos on YouTube. But not just any videos - music videos!

We started off with Elmo's Song. Peter likes that one a lot. And who can blame him? It's so catchy!

Then, to be educational, we start on our ABC's. I particularly like The Alphabet With Elmo and India Arie. I've never really listened to India Arie before, but she rocks the crap out of her ABCs. I also like ABC Hip Hop with Miles. I don't know if Miles is a singer or just a regular dude, but I've been humming his rendition of the ABCs all day, and I love it.



If Peter hasn't completely calmed down then we start counting. I happen to like that Feist song "1, 2, 3, 4," and now Peter likes it - but he likes the Sesame Street version.

Then, if Peter's either sitting quietly or still upset (doesn't matter what the excuse is), we'll watch other Sesame Street clips with some of Daddy's favorite actors, like Adam Sandler and Joel McHale.

I don't like the Black Eyed Peas, but I like Will.i.am, and he has a great song on Sesame Street's YouTube channel called What I Am.



And don't worry, it's not like all we do is watch TV and music videos with Peter. We also do manly things, like play ball (in and outside of the house), chase skirts (literally - we throw the laundry around and then chase it), and hurl insults at the Teletubbies. Gotta teach our children right!

No comments: