Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Party Gras!

Mardi Gras is my favorite holiday. What's not to love? You get to dress up, wander around New Orleans dressed up as a pirate or a flashing cow, drink heavily, eat Popeye's and king cake, and at the end of the day you have a big pile of beads (and, occasionally, herpes).

It's like everyone's favorite things all wrapped into one holiday!

But ever since Betty and I had kids, Mardi Gras has become extra fun... because we get to use our kids as props to get more beads. We still dress up, but now we're more like extensions of their costumes.

And it all starts with Betty.

She's the brains behind any operation dealing with the Tanory clan. I generally just write about stuff - but she's the one who thinks of it in the first place.

This year we went to Mardi Gras as characters from Peter Pan. My son, Peter, was Peter Pan (naturally). My daughter Anne was Tinkerbell. Betty was Wendy, her dad was Mr. Smee, her mom was the crocodile, and I was Captain Hook.

I should say that I was one of two Captain Hooks. Betty's cousin Julie dressed up as Izzy from Jake and the Never Land Pirates, and her son dressed up as a much better looking Captain Hook than I did.

I'm not too old to admit that I was jealous of his outfit.

We usually hang out on the neutral ground side of St. Charles near Napoleon or General Pershing. The good thing about that place is that there's a school - I think it's Sacred Heart - that's right behind us, and they have dozens of port-o-potties. $1 gets you a fast pass to the port-o-lets, and $5 gets you an all-day pass. This was the first year that I didn't have to use the restrooms a single time at Mardi Gras, but I'd like to take this time to apologize to the people standing in front of me - I think I ruined your tarp. When in New Orleans, right?

Thanks, New Orleans, for another great Mardi Gras! Or as we called it in Pirate talk, Maaaardi Graaaaaas! See you next year! By the way, my suggestion for next year's family theme is to make t-shirts that just say, "Boobies!" and then flash our shirts to random strangers. Why not? It's New Orleans!

3 comments:

Steve Herring said...

This is awesome Bobby. I'm jealous of ya'll living so close to cool events like this.

If we ever make it down for the big week you'll have to be the one to show us around.

Great looking family. Not too long and you and the boy will be sharing some Samuel Jacksons in the French Quarter.

asdfadsfasdf said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paul Bosworth said...

Great writeup! I grew up on the west bank so having the week of Mardi Gras off from school instead of Easter and comparing bead piles was a great part of growing up. Your post was very nostalgic, thanks :)