Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Relearning How to be a Kid

One of my favorite things about being a parent is that I get to be a kid again. Sure, there are games to be played, dirt piles to be climbed and Disney movies to be watched, but being a kid is much more than that. It's living in the moment, having no inhibitions, and wearing your emotions on your sleeve at full throttle.

And it comes very unnaturally to an adult. Even I, whose maturity level topped out at around 4 years old, have found that I've had to relearn how to be a kid.

Kids don't have any inhibitions. If my kids hear music that makes them want to dance, they dance. And they don't do the jitterbug, the waltz, a line dance or whatever minimalist grinding goes for dancing with today's youth. They fling their arms out, kick their legs each way, and generally look like the Tazmanian Devil on speed. And they're so happy when they're dancing!

And me, being old and having had society beat me down, have to stop singing and nodding my head to the music at every red light. What have I become?

I'm happy to "act the fool" when I'm with my kids in public. If they want to dance, I'll dance! Screw the onlookers! If my kids want to sing, I'll sing! If they want to scale a rock wall, I'll scale that rock wall with them! And I don't think they're "acting like fools," as we adults like to say. But if an adult, on his or her own, just started dancing in the middle of a restaurant because a great song with a funky beat comes on, other people would think that person should go to the looney bin.

Basically, adults are boring. Why is it so fashionable and acceptable to be mundane?

My kids are amazing, and I love being with them. I love their energy. I love how they show their emotions so freely. And I especially love that they don't give a crap about what other people think of them right now, because the only people they have to worry about are me and Betty, and we think the world of them. And that makes me want to dance!

No comments: